The 2023 American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) Annual Meeting was held Thursday, March 16 – Tuesday, March 21, 2023, in New Orleans, LA, and is the largest dermatology meeting in the world, showcasing over 1,000 expert speakers and over 300 sessions. The sessions covered various topics, from medical to cosmetic dermatology, topline data, and clinical pearls. The following report includes 13 summaries of talks focusing on psoriasis, including IPC’s symposium, “Psoriasis: Using the Right Treatment in the Right Patient at the Right Time.” You can download the full report or read on for a quick highlight.
IPC AAD SYMPOSIUM – PSORIASIS: USING THE RIGHT TREATMENT IN THE RIGHT PATIENT AT THE RIGHT TIME
- Prof. Christopher Griffiths, IPC Honorary Founder, presented Precision Medicine, Including Early Active Intervention. He discussed data supporting the future of psoriasis treatment, including an individualized approach to wellness and prevention and early intervention to decrease cumulative disease burden.
- Dr. Linda Stein Gold, IPC Councilor, reviewed the most recent data in her talk, Cutting Edge Topical Medications, regarding topical therapies for treating psoriasis, including combination topical agents, roflumilast cream, and tapinarof cream.
- Dr. Alexander Egeberg, IPC Councilor, discussed Cutting Edge Systemic Treatments: Oral and Biologic, which reviewed the newest data in his talk on oral and biologic agents for treating psoriasis, including deucravacitinib, bimekizumab, and spesolimab.
- Dr. Andrew Blauvelt, IPC Board Member, gave a talk titled Considering Comorbidities in Treatment Planning, which presented the available data on treating psoriasis patients with various comorbidities such as psoriatic arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, malignancy, metabolic disease, and cardiovascular disease.
SO MANY BIOLOGICS, SO LITTLE TIME: HOW TO PICK YOUR POISON IN AN ERA OF BIOLOGIC OVERLOAD
- Dr. April Armstrong, IPC Councilor, spoke on psoriasis comorbidities entitled Considering Comorbidities in Psoriasis Patients, highlighting some of the comorbidities needing special attention, such as uveitis, genital psoriasis and sexual health, and depression and suicide.
- In her talk titled Integrating PsA into Your Psoriasis Discussion and Treatment Selection, Dr. Kristina Callis Duffin, IPC Councilor, recommended a systematic approach to the early detection and treatment of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.
DEVELOPING THE NEXT GENERATION OF TARGETED TREATMENTS FOR INFLAMMATORY SKIN DISEASE
- Using Immunologic Profiles to Better Diagnose and Treat Inflammatory Skin Diseases was presented by Dr. Matthew Vesely, IPC 2021 Fellow, who reviewed the currently available molecular techniques to characterize inflammatory skin diseases such as psoriasis and ways they can assist in diagnosis and management decisions.
- Dr. William Damsky gave a talk titled Personalized Medicine Approaches to Select the Best Treatment for Patients with Inflammatory Skin Diseases to address the question of how much molecular heterogeneity is there within each disease and are certain medications inherently better for individual patients based on unique disease biology.
2019 AAD/NPF GUIDELINES
- Dr. Mona Shahriari reviewed the effectiveness of systemic therapies for psoriasis in her talk Comparative Effectiveness of Systemic Psoriasis Therapies.
- In the talk titled Importance of Treating Mild to Moderate Psoriasis with Effective Systemic Therapy, Dr. Kenneth Gordon, IPC Councilor, reviewed the importance of adequately treating patients who are considered to have mild to moderate psoriasis.
- In her talk Nailing Nail Psoriasis, Dr. Boni Elewski presented diagnostic pearls and treatment options for nail psoriasis.
- In his talk, Updates in Oral Therapies for Psoriasis, Prof. Richard Warren, IPC Councilor, presented the newest data on oral agents for treating psoriasis.
PSORIASIS AND ATOPIC DERMATITIS: ADVANCES IN COMORBIDITIES AND THERAPY
Dr. Jashin Wu, IPC Councilor, gave a talk entitled Psoriasis: Biologics and Biosimilars. He summarized the clinically relevant information regarding biosimilars.
For a more in-depth read, please download the full report.